October 7, 2010

A Grateful Amen

Lord, let me never tag a moral to a tale,
nor tell a story without a meaning.
Make me respect my material
so much that i dare not slight my work.

Help me to deal very honestly with words
and with people, for they are both alive.
Show me that as in a river, so in a
writing, clearness is the best quality, and
a little that is pure is worth more than
much that is mixed.
Teach me to see the local color without
being blind to the inner light.
Give me an ideal that will stand the
strain of weaving into human stuff on the
loom the the real.
Keep me from caring more for books
than for folks, for art than for life.
Steady me to do the full stint of work as
well as i can; and when that is done,
stop me; pay what wages Thou wilt, and
help me to say, from a quiet heart, a
grateful Amen. - Henry van Dyke.

No comments:

Post a Comment